- 1 million x 1 million universe.
- Fastest Windows Life player; user-definable speed.
- Supports all popular Life file formats: Life 1.05/1.06, RLE, Xlife 2.0, dbLife.
- Use of Microsoft DirectDraw to accelerate drawing, with seamless non-DirectDraw support
(albeit that the latter is a lot slower). Variable rate frame dropping increases the
speed further at the cost of smooth animation.
- Take a "snapshot" and revert to it in one keystroke. Advanced snapshot list maintenance.
- Skip to... option lets you skip to any generation fast. For skipping backward,
Life32 skips forward from the preceding snapshot.
- User-definable rules, using checkboxes, text (23/3, etc.), or a list of known
interesting rules with descriptions.
- Advanced editing features: cut and paste, drag and drop, etc. Cut and paste to and from
text editors - good for e-mailing patterns.
- Zoom from 10 pixels per cell down to 1/32 sub-pixel. Zoom cursor for selective zooming.
Zoom to fit using 'z' key.
- Scrollbars and keyboard shortcuts for moving around the universe easily; hand cursor for
scrolling in all directions; Move to... window lets you jump to anywhere in the universe, or
the edges of the pattern, or the center of the pattern.
- Keeps track of pattern descriptions: shows them to you in the "Open" window before you
open a pattern, allows you to change them in Settings or Save As, and view them with one
- Extensive help.
THE OFFICIAL LIFE32 SITE IS
Here are some pattern collections for use with Life32:
- Alan Hensel's LifeP.zip
- David Bell's huge
dblifelib-2.tgz collection of patterns for various evolution rules.
- Dieter Leithner's collection
of the smallest glider guns with period > 1000.