- 1 lb sour cherries (unsweetened), pitted
- 1 qt water
- 1 - 2 C sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ½ t lemon rind, very finely grated
- ½ C red wine (optional)
- 1 T tapioca (instant) or flour
- ½ C sour cream
- salt to taste
- Combine the cherries and water in a soup pot, with enough sugar so that the liquid is pleasantly tart. Add the cinnamon, lemon rind, and wine if desired. Boil gently for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, remove about 1 C liquid from the soup and combine in a small saucepan with the tapioca or flour, whisking over medium heat until the mixture is thick and smooth. Return this thickener to the soup and stir until it is well integrated. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Remove soup from the heat, then stir in the sour cream thoroughly, and add salt to taste.
- Refrigerate in a tureen. Serve chilled, with lemon slices as a garnish.
In lieu of Italian cherries we recommend those from Door County, Wisconsin (or across the lake in Michigan if you must).