- 1/4 lb smoked bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or pork
- 1 t thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 C thick seasoned tomato sauce
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce, or Pickapeppa, or Bovril, or Marmite
- 1 package frozen french-cut green beans
- 4 C, or more, fresh mashed potatoes
- 1/2 C white chedder cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Fry the onion and bacon together until golden brown. Add the minced beef or pork, and the thyme, frying until the meat is brown and crumbly. Sitr in the tomato sauce and other seasonings.
- Remove this mixture to the bottom of a medium casserole. Layer the frozen french-cut green beans over the top. Cover with mashed potatoes, smooothed down using a spatula to form a 'crust.' Sprinkle chedder cheese evenly on top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Serve piping hot.
Comfort food. This somewhat unusual version with green beans, from Sarah Nelson, is far superior to those with carrots and/or peas.