- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 6 T butter
- 4 C trimmed, carefully cleaned, chopped leeks
- salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 10" partially baked pastry shell
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ C cream
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/4 t sugar
- a dash of Tabasco
- Cook bacon until crisp, cool, and crumble into bits.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the leeks. Stir, then cover and cook over low heat,
8-10 minutes, checking to make sure the leeks don't stick to the pan and burn. Season with salt
- Spread the leeks evenly in the pastry shell, then sprinkle the bacon bits over. Mix the eggs,
cream, salt, sugar and Tabasco, and pour over the leeks, stirring with a fork to distribute the egg mixture evenly throughout. Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 300° and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove and let sit for 15 minutes. Serves 8.
Adapted from my favorite vegetable-centric source, The Victory Garden Cookbook, by Miriam Monash.