- 1/4 C virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb guanciale or pancetta, chopped into very small cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- peperoncino, seeded and chopped, to taste
- 1½ lbs ripe Italian (Roma) tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3/4 C dry white or red Italian wine
- 2 t sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fry the pork in a little of the olive oil until brown. Remove excess fat, then add the remaining oil, onions, garlic and chile, and saute until the onions are wilted. Add the tomatoes, wine, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes.
- Serve over fresh bucatini, perciatelli or spaghetti, then top with freshly grated Parmesan.
A great pasta sauce from Rome. The chile pepper should be prominent but not dominant.