Chocolate Steamed Pudding with Ellie's Mom's Sauce
- 1 T butter
- 1½ oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 egg
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 C coffee, cooled
- 1½ C flour, sifted
- 1/4 t salt
- 1½ t baking powder
- 2½ confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 lb + 2 T butter
- 1/4 t salt
- 1½ t vanilla extract
- 1 C heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter 8 6-oz custard cups. For the pudding, in a double boiler over very low heat, melt the butter and chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg and sugar together. Add the vanilla and beat again. Add the chocolate mixture and mix again. Add the cooled coffee and blend well. Sift the dry ingredients together and add. The batter should be smooth. Using a 4-oz ladle, fill the custard cups with the chocolate mixture. Cover each cup tightly with aluminum foil.
- Set the cups in a deep baking pan and add 1/2" of hot water to the pan. Cover the pan with foil and put into the oven. Steam for 30 minutes. Cool slightly before unmolding.
- For the sauce, chill a large mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer. Combine the confectioner's sugar, eggs, butter, salt, and vanilla in another bowl and beat until creamy and smooth. Put the heavy cream into the chilled bowl and beat until slightly thickened. Continue to beat with the chilled whisk and slowly fold in the egg mixture, maintaining as much air as possible in the cream. Whip by hand until smooth.
- Serve the puddings warm with the sauce.
From Quivey's Grove Restaurant, 6261 Nesbit Rd. Madison, WI.