Lake Superior Trout Meunière
- 6 - 8 small fresh trout
- 2 C milk
- 3/4 C flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 t fresh dill
- vegetable oil
- 4 T butter
- lemon slices and fresh parsley as a garnish
- Clean the trout and rinse well under cold running water. Place the fish in a shallow pan, cover with milk, and let stand for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the milk and drain but do not dry. Coat one at a time in the flour seasoned with salt, pepper, dill, and additional flour as needed.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a deep heavy skillet to fill to 1/2" deep. Heat over a medium flame. Add the trout, cook until golden brown on the under side, and then turn to brown the top side.
- Transfer the trout to a serving platter. Remove the oil from the skillet and wipe it dry with paper towels. Add the butter to the skillet and heat to sizzling. Pour the melted butter over the trout, and garnish with lemon slices and parsley.
From The Old Rittenhouse Inn, Bayfield WI (God's country!)