- 1½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 t vegetable oil
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t lemon pepper
- 1 t hot pepper sauce
- salt to taste
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 (14 oz) can whole tomatoes
- 2 qt chicken stock
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 C shredded cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces. Saute the onion, jalapenos,
garlic, carrots, red pepper, and chicken in 4 teaspoons oil in a stockpot
for 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, lemon pepper, salt, hot pepper
sauce and flour until mixed. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth; mix well.
Simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Fry the tortilla strips in 1/4 inch oil in a skillet until crisp;
drain. Arrange several tortilla strips in each soup bowl. Spoon 1
tablespoon each of the sour cream and chopped avocado over the tortilla
strips. Ladle the soup over the layers; sprinkle with cilantro, and
cheese if desired. Serves 8.
- Festive and
delicious. Fairly labor-instensive, but worth the effort!
Thanks to my hairdresser Tisha for this one.